At Wallace Printers Bolton, we have the facility to create your artwork in house but if cost is an issue or you already have existing artwork that’s not problem as we’d be happy to print from that. It can be rather satisfying creating your own artwork but it can be somewhat complicated setting up a file for print particularly if you’ve never done it before. No fear though as our this guide will help you understand the printing process and may save you a lot of time and effort.
- Product page size is correct.
- Page includes correct bleed – If you want an image or colour to run right to the edge of your document, you will need to make it extend 3mm further than the trim edge. This may mean setting your page size 6mm larger on both dimensions.
- All images, logos and text (that do not bleed) are no closer than 4mm from any edge being trimmed, perforated, folded or creased.
- Avoid putting borders too close to the edge of the document
- Our preferred file format for receiving artwork is as a pdf.
- When providing a pdf please save as a ‘pdf for prepress’
- ensuring all fonts are embedded and include bleed and crop marks in the prepress settings.
- All fonts are to be supplied or convert text to curves, paths or outlines. Fonts should be removed from your system whilst we are handling your job to comply with the licence agreement.
- All images are converted to cmyk, and saved as .tif files.
- Photos are scanned at 300dpi at 100%, line-art images are scanned at 800 to 1200dpi at 100%
- Images for large format posters are at 150dpi at 100%
- Avoid .gif formats as they may cause blurriness and lack quality.
- Photographs and logos taken directly from a website are usually of a low quality and will not produce a clear printed image. Please supply the original artwork files or photographs
Before printing we will
- We will supply you with a colour proof to sign off. This will be produced on a colour laser printer so the colour will not be 100% accurate. The proof will be a guide as to how the finished print will look, and should only be used to check that no items are missing from your file.
- Notify you of any issues.
- Correct errors for you as requested (informing you of any charges), or return your file for you to correct/amend.
- Once errors are corrected, verify your file will print correctly.
- Provide you with a proof to sign off.
- We will not go to print until you sign off the proof.
Common paper sizes
- A0 841x1189mm – suitable for posters
- A1 594x841mm – suitable for posters
- A2 420x594mm – suitable for posters
- A3 297x420mm – suitable for folded newsletters/brochures
- A4 210x297mm – suitable for letterheads
- A5 148x210mm – suitable for leaflets/flyers/mailers
- A6 105x148mm – suitable for postcards
- 1/3 A4 210x99mm – Suitable for compliment slips
- Buisness Card 85x55mm